Saturday 16 November 2013

Sewing galore!




Despite being a full-time mum, wife, daughter and a recently becoming a student again; every so often I have the sudden compulsion to sew or make things. It's my way of escapism from the stresses of life.  Mind you this hobby doesn't come cheap and it is rather time-consuming however very satisfying because it's something you've made yourself.



I have a weakness for homeware, haberdashery and trimmings shops.  My subconscious persuades me to buy whilst my purse says another. Big haberdasheries wholesalers want you to buy in bulk; hence I have accumulated quite a few buttons and embellishments over the years! Nevertheless I am still intrigued by the variety of trimmings and the possibilities of what I can create out of them. When I walk in the shop I'm like a child in a sweet shop. I just want to buy everything but I have to contain myself from the temptation.  Lace, embellishments, motifs, ribbons, buttons, beads, threads, fastening and much more all under one roof.

I was quite creative in school.  I loved drawing, doodling, sewing and making things. In secondary school I chose to study Art and Textiles for my GCSEs but never chose to continue it professionally - just dabbled in the hobby!  Regardless  I have dedicated a corner in my living room for my hobby and the rest of my household have learnt to accept it as it's not going away anytime soon!


Recent resurgence in the interest in the make, do and mend culture has revived this dormant pass-time in me. I started making cushions and recycled my daughter's baby grows and made flower applique patterns.  I also revamped an old canvas into a noticeboard and key holder with pockets and brass hooks.


I had a lot of denim at home from a blind that I had bought for my daughter few years ago so I decided to make a school bag for my daughter with her initials on it. Other things I made out of the denim were tote bags, mini purses and a clutch bag which I remember sewing till 3am!


Eventually I made hanging hearts both scented with lavender and unscented, pin cushions and more smaller cushions to dress the bed. These little finishing touches can be hung on a wardrobe handle or a door handle to give that homely feel. 



Even though making smaller items are quiet fiddly; I thought I'd give it a go at making some hairbands and brooches. These hair accessories and brooches were made to sell at a stall which I had at Spitalfields Market in Brushfield Street as part of International Women's Month in March 2010.  The monochrome hairbands sold like hot cakes!


My latest sewing venture was to make headpieces but with more pizazz like the ones worn by the actresses in the Great Gatsby movie which was set in the 1920s. 





I really enjoyed making these as I already knew how to make fabric headpieces but it was a new challenge trying to incorporate beads and embellishment onto fragile material such as lace and net. 

Anyways that's it for now until my next inspiration for sewing

 
Watch this space for more sewing.  

Please leave a comment below - your comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful work! you are very talented. Please share some tutorials, here's my blog with some tutorials hope you like it.
    http://gazals-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete